Other day I thought of wearing cotton sari to office but someone disowned the idea. And earlier wearing sari for a working lady is elegant and makes her look sober and sexy at same time. But now a day’s woman wears only on occasion. Like when on Diwali time HR set the dress code ‘traditional wear’ or when a girl get married and joined office after a long wedding vacation with chuda (handful red bangles) and sari. Or only a certain ladies like to wear like Indian Airlines airhostess. Even receptionist doesn’t feel pride in wearing sari and Indian hospitality business also changed dress code from sari to western wear.
So If I want to go office in starched cotton sari with sleeveless blouse I be prepared I’m not going to work whole day in normal way. Colleagues will ask- any special occasion, during lunchtime everyone in canteen area will give you a look.
So wearing sari for no reason for a corporate girl is NO unless you wear sari to office on a regular basis else you just can’t wear.
What could be the reason for decaying of such a nice traditional wear :-
– It is difficult to wear and manage. Most of the girls don’t know how to wear sari.
– Maintenance is time consuming. Imagine ironing and folding a nine-meter long sari.
– Gone are days when sari used to be affordable. Now it cost a lot. And we want branded sari too, like, is it from Nalli!
– Changed lifestyles. Earlier we used to carry handbag. Now we have mobile, laptop and above all managing a dress! Too much!
– Western style toilet! Yes, that’s also a problem.
– Accessories. With sari you need matching jewelry and bangles while with trouser & shirt it’s not so important to have accessories.
– Outdated tag! If you wear sari on regular basis than you will be tagged behin ji type! But if you wear occasionally, you will be loaded with compliments!
Ahh, such a classy Indian dress now a days hardly make any sense; so why to wear.